Howard C. and Sara H. Bissell Distinguished Professor in Engineering
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
The Nanoscale Science Ph.D. Program
Adjunct Professor, Department of Physics and Optical Science
The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, NC 28223
Phone: (704) 687-8652, Email: Yong.Zhang@uncc.edu
- Electronic and optical properties of semiconductor nanostructures
- Impurity and defects in semiconductors
- Organic-inorganic hybrid materials
- Spatially resolved optical spectroscopy
- Large scale first-principles and empirical electronic structure modeling
- Novel materials and device architectures for energy and related applications (photovoltaics, solid-state-lighting, detector)
- Fundamental sciences in solid state physics and electrical engineering
Xiamen (Amoy) University, China, Physics, B.S., 1982
Xiamen (Amoy) University, China, Physics, M.S., 1985
Dartmouth College, Physics, Ph.D., 1994
- Bissell Distinguished Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, UNC-Charlotte, 4/2009 – present. Faculty members for Optical Science and Engineering program and Nanoscale Science Ph.D. Program at UNC-Charlotte.
- Senior Scientist II, Materials and Computational Science Center, NREL, 2006 – 2009.
- Senior Scientist I, Center for Basic Sciences, NREL, 1997 – 2005.
- Postdoc, Center for Basic Sciences, NREL, 1994 – 1997.
- Visiting Researcher, Physics Department, Dartmouth College, 1/1989 – 1/1990.
- Researcher, Physics Department, Xiamen (Amoy) University, China, 1987 – 1989.
- Engineer, Xiamen United Development Co. Ltd., Xiamen, China, 1985 – 1987.
Selected Recent Publications (Full List)
- Xiaoxiao Sun, Yong Zhang, Weikun Ge, Photo-induced Macro/Mesoscopic Scale Ion Displacement in Mixed-Halide Perovskites: Ring Structures and Ionic Plasma Oscillations, Light: Sci. & Appl. (2022).
- Jose F. Castaneda, Jeong-Hyeok Im, Yucheng Liu, Shengzhong Liu, Nam-Gyu Park, and Yong Zhang, Domain Size, Temperature, and Time Dependence of Photodegradation in MAPbI3 Probed by Raman Spectroscopy, ACS Energy Lett. (2022).
- Fan Zhang, Jose F. Castaneda, Timothy H. Gfroerer, Daniel Friedman, Yong-Hang Zhang, Mark W. Wanlass, and Yong Zhang, An all optical approach for comprehensive in-operando analysis of radiative and nonradiative recombination processes in semiconductors, Light: Sci. & Appl. 11, 137 (2022).
- Yong Zhang, II-VI based organic-inorganic hybrid structures: brief review and perspective, J. Lumin. 248, 118936 (2022).
- Chen Ming, Zhizhong Chen, Fan Zhang, Shuiping Gong, Xiaowei Wu, Jie Jiang, Tang Ye, Qing Xu, Ke Yang, Liang Wang, Xun Cao, Songwang Yang, Shengbai Zhang, Yong Zhang, Jian Shi, and Yi-Yang Sun, Mixed chalcogenide-halides for stable, lead-free and defect-tolerant photovoltaics: computational screening and experimental validation of CuBiSCl2 with ideal band gap, Adv. Fun. Mat. https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.202112682 (2022).
- Zhiqiang Liu, Fang Ren, Bingyao Liu, Yue Yin, Shuo Zhang, Meng Liang, Zhipeng Dou, Zhetong Liu, Shenyuan Yang, Jianchang Yan, Tongbo Wei, Xiaoyan Yi, Chaoxing Wu, Tailiang Guo, Junxi Wang, Yong Zhang, Jinmin Li, Peng Gao, Atomic-Scale Mechanism of Spontaneous Polarity Inversion in AlN on Nonpolar Sapphire Substrate Grown by MOCVD, Small 18, 202200057 (2022).
- Antardipan Pal, Yong Zhang, and Dennis D. Yau, Monolithic and single-functional-unit level integration of electronic and photonic elements: FET-LET hybrid 6T SRAM, Photon. Res. 9, 1369 (2021).
- Tang Ye, Margaret Kocherga, Yi-Yang Sun, Andrei Nesmelov, Fan Zhang, Wanseok Oh, Xiao-Ying Huang, Jing Li, Damian Beasock, Daniel S. Jones, Thomas A. Schmedake, and Yong Zhang, II−VI Organic−Inorganic Hybrid Nanostructures with Greatly Enhanced Optoelectronic Properties, Perfectly Ordered Structures, and Shelf Stability of Over 15 Years, ACS Nano 15, 10565 (2021).
- Qiong Chen, Brandon S. McKeon, Sunny Y. Zhang, Fan Zhang, Changkui Hu, Timothy H. Gfroerer, Mark W. Wanlass, David J. Smith, and Yong Zhang, Impact of individual structural defects in GaAs solar cells: a correlative and in operando investigation of signatures, structures, and effects, Adv. Opt. Mat. 9, 2001487 (2020).
- Fan Zhang, Jose F. Castaneda, Shangshang Chen,Wuqiang Wu, Michael J. DiNezza, Maxwell Lassise, Wanyi Nie, Aditya Mohite, Yucheng Liu, Shengzhong Liu, Daniel Friedman, Henan Liu, Qiong Chen, Yong-Hang Zhang, Jinsong Huang, and Yong Zhang, Comparative studies of optoelectrical properties of prominent PV materials: halide perovskite, CdTe, and GaAs, Materials Today 36, 18 (2020).
- Yingyan Yi, Jason K. Marmon, Yuanping Chen, Fan Zhang, Tao Sheng, Priyalal S. Wijewarnasuriya, Haitao Zhang, and Yong Zhang, Intrinsic exciton-phonon coupling and tuning in ZnTe nanowires probed by resonant Raman scattering, Phys. Rev. Appl. (Letter) 13, 011001 (2020).
- Liqin Su, Layne Bradley, Yiling Yu, Yifei Yu, Linyou Cao, Yiping Zhao, and Yong Zhang, Surface-enhanced Raman scattering of monolayer transition metal dichalcogenides on Ag nanorod arrays, Optics Letters 44, 5493 (2019).
- Yong Zhang, Applications of Huang–Rhys theory in semiconductor optical spectroscopy, J. Semicond. 40, 091102 (2019).
- Naili Yue, Joshua Myers, Liqin Su, Wentao Wang, Fude Liu, Raphael Tsu, Yan Zhuang, and Yong Zhang, Growth of oxidation-resistive silicene-like thin flakes and Si nanostructures on graphene, J. Semicond. 40, 062001 (2019).
- T. Park, Yong-Jing Guan, Zhi-Qiang Liu, and Yong Zhang, In Operando micro-Raman 3D thermometry with diffraction-limit spatial resolution for GaN-based light-emitting diodes, Phys, Rev. Appl. (2018)
- Changkui Hu, Qiong Chen, Fengxiang Chen, T.H. Gfroerer, M.W. Wanlass and Yong Zhang, Overcoming diffusion-related limitations in semiconductor defect imaging with phonon-plasmon coupled mode Raman scattering, Light: Science and Applications 7, 23 (2018).
- Henan Liu, Yong Zhang, Elizabeth H. Steenbergen, Shi Liu, Zhiyuan Lin, Yong-Hang Zhang, Jeomoh Kim, Mi-Hee Ji, Theeradetch Detchprohm, Russell D. Dupuis, Jin K. Kim, Samuel D. Hawkins, and John F. Klem, Raman scattering study of lattice vibrations in type II superlattice InAs/InAs1-xSbx, Phys. Rev. Appl. 8, 034028 (2017).
- Qiong Chen, Sergio Bernardi, and Yong Zhang, Spatially-resolved laser induced modification Raman spectroscopy for probing the microscopic structure variations in quaternary alloy CZTSe, Phys. Rev. Appl. 8, 034008 (2017).
- Liqin Su, Yifei Yu, Linyou Cao, and Yong Zhang, In Situ Monitoring of the Thermal-Annealing Effect in a Monolayer of MoS2, Phys. Rev. Appl. 7, 034009 (2017).
- Qiong Chen, Henan Liu, Hui-Seon Kim, Yucheng Liu, Mengjin Yang, Naili Yue, Gang Ren, Kai Zhu, Shengzhong Liu, Nam-Gyu Park, and Yong Zhang, Multiple-Stage Structure Transformation of Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Perovskite CH3NH3PbI3, Phys. Rev. X 6, 031042 (2016).
- Jianwei Wang and Yong Zhang, Topologic connection between 2-D layered structures and 3-D diamond structures for conventional semiconductors, Sci. Rep. 6: 24660 (2016).
- Jason K. Marmon, Satish C. Rai, Kai Wang, Weilie Zhou, and Yong Zhang, Light-Effect Transistor (LET) with Multiple Independent Gating Controls for Optical Logic Gates and Optical Amplification, Front. Phys. 4, 8 (2016).
- Zhiqiang Liu, Xiaoyan Yi, Zhiguo Yu, Gongdong Yuan, Yang Liu, Junxi Wang, Jinmin Li, Na Lu, Ian Ferguson, Yong Zhang, Impurity Resonant States p-type Doping in Wide-Band-Gap Nitrides, Sci. Rep. 6:19537 (2016).
- Liqin Su and Yong Zhang, Temperature coefficients of phonon frequencies and thermal conductivity in thin black phosphorus layers, Appl. Phys. Lett. 107, 071905 (2015).
- Jianwei Wang, Yong Zhang, and Lin-Wang Wang, Systematic approach for simultaneously correcting the band-gap and p−d separation errors of common cation III-V or II-VI binaries in density functional theory calculations within a local density approximation, Phys. Rev. B 92, 045211 (2015).
- Henan Liu, Naili Yue, Yong Zhang, Pengfei Qiao, Daniel Zuo, Ben Kesler, Shun Lien Chuang, Jae-Hyun Ryou, James D. Justice, and Russell Dupuis, Lattice vibration modes in type-II superlattice InAs/GaSb with no-common-atom interface and overlapping vibration spectra, Phys. Rev. B 91, 235317 (2015).
- Bingpo Zhang, Ping Lu, Henan Liu, Lin Jiao, Zhenyu Ye, M. Jaime, F.F. Balakirev, Huiqiu Yuan, Huizhen Wu, Wei Pan, and Yong Zhang, Quantum Oscillations in a Two-Dimensional Electron Gas at the Rocksalt/Zincblende Interface of PbTe/CdTe (111) Heterostructures, Nano Lett. 15, 4381(2015).