Materials Science: New Materials for Additive Manufacturing
New additive manufacturing tools and materials are creating opportunities to develop innovative new products…
Chemical Engineering: Sustainable materials
Development of new biobased and biodegradable materials for more sustainable products and a better future for the planet…
Materials Science: Composite materials development
Creating new composite materials and using the latest design tools to get better products to market…
About Research Group
It is the goal of the Performance Materials Lab to be in a position to understand, facilitate, and be prepared to implement new materials science discoveries in additive, composite, and sustainable materials. This requires our involvement in basic and applied materials science and engineering and a collaborative partnership between research and industry. We approach discovery with an interdisciplinary team of material scientists, chemical and biomedical engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, and other related disciplines.
Dr. Roger Tipton
Roger Tipton, Ph.D. is a Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Engineering Science at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
After a successful 20 year career in industry from the shop floor to management to executive positions, Roger Tipton completed his PhD and started a career in research and developing the next generation of engineers and scientists.
- How I navigated through my midlife PhD, R.B. Tipton, Nature, 2022
- Roger B. Tipton, Dianhao Hou, Zhimin Shi, Thomas M. Weller, Venkat R. Bhethanabotla, Optical interconnects on a flexible substrate by multi-material hybrid additive and subtractive manufacturing, Additive Manufacturing Journal, Volume 48, Part A, 2021
- Digital fabrication of a small diameter polymer optical waveguide, VR Bhethanabotla, TM Weller, RB Tipton, JT Bentley… – US Patent 10,852,479, 2020
- Roger B. Tipton, Dianhao Hou, Eduardo A. Rojas-Nastrucci, Thomas M. Weller, Venkat R. Bhethanabotla, Laser Enhanced Direct Print Additive Manufacturing of Embedded Circular Cross-Section Optical Fiber Interconnects for Board Level Computing Devices, Additive Manufacturing Journal, Volume 34, 2020
About Publications Group
Our group is working at the interface of materials science, electronics, and additive manufacturing with the goal of advancing understanding of sensors and communications devices.
- We specialize in both computational and experimental studies.
- We engage with government agencies and industrial partners to maximize the impact of our work and maximize the benefits to society.
For more information on the research of our group please feel free to contact Roger Tipton.
- Dr. Roger Tipton to Attend MRS ConferenceProfessor Roger Tipton is excited to be presenting at the Materials Research Society fall meeting on Wednesday November 29 at… Read more: Dr. Roger Tipton to Attend MRS Conference
- Dr. Tipton’s visit to Universidad del Sagrado CorazónDuring my trip to Puerto Rico this summer, I was fortunate to visit the Universidad del Sagrado Corazón. Sagrado is… Read more: Dr. Tipton’s visit to Universidad del Sagrado Corazón
- Dr. Roger Tipton to Teach Machine Design and Analysis Course in Fall 2023Dr. Tipton will be teaching MEGR 3221 Machine Analysis and Design fall semester 2023. This is a fun course and… Read more: Dr. Roger Tipton to Teach Machine Design and Analysis Course in Fall 2023