This course involves the design, analysis, simulation and implementation of composite, cascaded and summation filters. Topics include: bilinear transfer functions; cascade design with first-order circuits; biquad circuits; Butterworth lowpass circuits; Butterworth bandpass circuits; the Chebyshev response; sensitivity; frequency transformations; highpass and band-elimination filters.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Design and analyze filters making use of bilinear transforms.
- Design active filters by cascading first-order circuits.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the design and analysis of active filters using the biquad circuit.
- Design filters having a lowpass Butterworth response
- Design filters having a bandpass Butterworth response.
- Design lowpass and bandpass filters having a Chebyshev response.
- Perform sensitivity analysis upon a given active filter circuit.
- Make use of frequency transformation methods to convert prototype lowpass filters into highpass, bandpass or band-reject filters.